Becker College Varsity Esports Adds Overwatch Team
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Overwatch is a team-based game where heroes do battle in a world conflict.
“Becker is excited to add Overwatch to our varsity esports program. Over the last year the club Overwatch teams have steadily improved to the point where it makes sense to level up,” said Timothy Loew, Becker’s varsity esports program general manager and executive director of the Massachusetts Digital Games Institute (MassDiGI).
Becker’s team will kick-off its competitive schedule by playing in the TESPA Overwatch Collegiate Championship: Varsity League beginning later this month.
Esports at Becker
Overwatch is now the third game supported at the varsity level by Becker.
League of Legends was the college’s inaugural title in its varsity esports program when it launched in the summer of 2018.
This past fall, Becker took advantage of an opportunity to build a SMITE team.
“Our goal is to make Becker a destination for students with a passion for play. We’re building a true esports community here, not simply a team, club or a program,” said Loew.
Becker is the first college in Massachusetts to award scholarships to varsity esports student-athletes and the first-in-the-nation to offer a bachelor of science in esports management degree.
Released by Blizzard in 2016, Overwatch has exploded in popularity due to the creation of the Overwatch League (OWL) which features professional esports teams based in cities around the world including the Boston Uprising, a team bought by New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft in 2017.
This past summer, nearly 11 million viewers watched the first Overwatch League Finals, held in front of a sell-out crowd at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
According to Blizzard, over 40 million people a month now play Overwatch.
- Becker College to Host Lecture on Esports
- Becker College Announces New Bachelor of Science in Esports Management Degree
- Talking the Brave New World of Esports at Becker College on LIVE
- Becker Awarded $21K Grant for Esports Lab
- Becker College Receives $1 Million Gift for Center for Global Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Becker College Elects Two New Members to Board of Trustees
- Becker College and Tech School in Ireland Team Up for Summer Gaming Internship
- Becker Ranked #5 in World for Game Design by The Princeton Review
- Becker College to Offer First U.S. Degree in Global Citizenship
- Becker College President Traveled With Gov. Patrick Overseas
- Reliant Named Top Place to Work By Becker’s Healthcare
- Becker College Named to Higher Education Video Game Alliance
- Becker Launches Master of Fine Arts in Interactive Media Program
- UMass Memorial Named to Becker’s Healthcare Top 100 Hospitals
- Becker College’s MassDiGI Program Develops Game Addressing Income Inequality
- Fairman Cowan Collegiate Lecture Series to be held at Becker College
- Becker College Receives $125,000 Grant From Davis Educational Foundation
- Writing for Screen and Digital Media to Launch at Becker College
- Becker Names Crimmin Senior VP & Chief Academic & Student Affairs Officer
- Becker College’s MassDiGI Program Awarded $583K in Federal Funding
- Becker College Ranked Among Top Schools in World for Game Design
- Health Foundation of Central MA Names Becker, Dimitri as New Directors
- Becker President Named Chancellor of UMass Dartmouth
- Becker’s MassDiGI Program to Receive 2017 Game Changer Award