MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
Sunday, September 20, 2015
So we've decided that bare legs are silly, right? But you don't want to look like you've crossed over to Granny's support-hose territory either. Look for sheer stockings in soft dove-greys or light beige's with a little sheen. Go for wispy more skin-toned colors and avoid like the plague anything that says "suntan". The right hue will give every-day legs that extra touch of feminine poise and finish, minus ugly goosebumps.
The biggest expansion in hosiery has been in tights. Opaques look great with shorter skirts in the office, but black tights are showing up with cocktail dresses too, even sleeveless ones. The trend began on the red carpet and crept into mainstream for nighttime warmth while out on the town. Opaques now come in lots of vivid colors. Fuchsia, deep aqua, even red are super chic with monochromatic outfits. Think black cashmere sweater, black knit skirt, black suede shoes with jewel-like emerald green tights. That's enough sophistication for both the office and after-work drinks.
Unique textures and patterns are fun ways to show off legs. Small diamond patterns, tiny embroidered flowers, dots, and squiggles all make getting dressed more fun this season. Some stockings have delicate lace inserts with just-so ankle placement to add a bit of intrigue. Whatever appeals to you can work its way into your fall wardrobe styling. Cable-knit tights add comforting coziness which makes even bitter-cold weather more bearable. You don't have eschew wearing skirts and dresses with wool or wool-blend knits on your gams.
A Woman's Prerogative
As far as regular hose, stores are stocking more thigh-highs and stockings than ever before. The legs-to-there look can be had without pantyhose these days and thigh-highs are beautifully made now with lace trims and comfort bands. But if pantyhose is still your thing, you will find more stretchy air-flowing fabrics which means you can opt for ease. Old-world style garter belts can be purchased in lingerie shops for real glamour.
Department stores are back in business with dedicated hosiery departments. Check out Nordstrom in Providence for one of the best and biggest selections. Your local boutiques and haunts are beginning to carry colorful tights too so if you're buying a sweater, always ask where the coordinating tights are. Smaller shops are more likely to have cable knits. Anthropologie in Cranston carries some unique graphic and floral tights. As always, drugstores and Walmart have the lowest priced hosiery. The longest-lasting black tights I ever bought were from my local Walmart so when you're going for bananas, check out the tights too.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: She’s Come Undone – The Messy Look
- MA Beauty Expert: Shop for Your Perfect Special Occasion Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: Super Bowl style – is There Such a Thing?
- MA Beauty Expert: Ageless Beauty in Winter – It Is Possible
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring’s New Palette
- MA Beauty Expert: Choosing a New Spring Raincoat
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?