MA Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion
Sunday, November 08, 2015
Consider the Venue
If it’s at the hometown VFW, it’s a safe bet it’s going to be casual. But dress up a bit if the invite says hotel ballroom or restaurant function room. Wearing jeans at a fancy place is just as uncomfortable as the little black dress at a barbeque.
Leave the sequins to the former mean girls, and opt for a simple chic dress. In a sea of little black ones, stand out in a bright color like magenta or emerald green. There’s no need to dress for the prom you’re all grownup now so choose something graceful and sophisticated and they’ll think they voted you mostlikelyto succeed.
Even if you still can fit into your old patchwork jeans...don’t. Ditto to ripped and tootight. Classic rise and slightly curvy jeans are neat and fresh and make a great base for flirty tops or fitted cashmere sweaters. A softly draped top will nicely hide muffin top issues. Ballet flats add a pretty, feminine element to any jeans ensemble.
We’re all getting older but your high school reunion is not the time for intricate shading techniques and thick coverups. Still, you will want makeup that looks better than the blue frosted eye shadow from sophomore year. Go with fresh lipstick in a vivid moist color such as a warm coral or raspberry. Rosy cheeks that come from creamy blush and a good flick of black mascara are all you need to finish the look.
Get a trim and color a week or so before the big night for just barely grown naturalness. You’ll be the most popular girl in class if you look like you, but enhanced. Soft swingy hair is far more youthful than an overstyled helmet do. You’ll be gorgeous with a breezy inconsequence that will attract even your old homeroom crush right to your side.
No Showing Off
Don’t be THAT woman. You know, the one who brings a mink coat with her in August. Or the one who flaunts her Pilates body with tootight clothing. Instead, be subtle. If you have worked out religiously and are proud of your abs, try a soft wrapdress that invitingly skims your curves. If you’ve made it to the big league, one special piece of statement jewelry will say plenty.
Your favorite mall will have most of the options above.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring’s New Palette
- MA Beauty Expert: Choosing a New Spring Raincoat
- MA Beauty Expert: Shop for Your Perfect Special Occasion Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: She’s Come Undone – The Messy Look
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
- MA Beauty Expert: Taking It All Off - Five New Makeup Removers
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: Fall’s Booty Call Finding Your Cold Weather Dream Boots