Government Accountability Office Begins Investigation into Mar-a-Lago at Request of Sen. Warren
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
In a letter confirming that they will conduct the investigation, the GAO said the review will include how the President's communications and classified information are secured while traveling, including whether a secure space for classified communications has been established at Mar-a-Lago, as well as what, if any, security measures are employed by the Secret Service to screen staff and guests at the resort.
The GAO will also review what measures, "the Secret Service and the Department of Defense have in place to ensure charges for travel-related expenses in connection with providing protection for presidential trips to Mar-a-Lago are fair and reasonable," and "whether the U.S. Treasury has received payments resulting from profits at the President's hotels."
Last month, the Members of Congress raised concerns following an incident in which “the President and his staff discussed national security matters on ‘full view to diners' and reviewed potentially sensitive national security material in apparent violation of security protocols."
Congress also raised concerns about the expenditure of taxpayer funds at Mar-A-Lago. The Members of Congress requested that the GAO provide "recommendations necessary to ensure that the President and his staff avoid violating national security protocols in the future, and ensure that taxpayer funds are used appropriately when the president travels to his private club."
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Tom Petty Biographer Warren Zanes to Host Talk at Clark University
- Sen. Warren Addresses Election of Donald Trump to AFL-CIO
- Senator Warren Sends Blistering Letter to Trump’s Transition Team
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Sen. Warren to Wells Fargo CEO Stumpf “You Should Resign”
- Warren, Markey & other Senators Express Serious Concerns About Mylan’s Price Hike on EpiPens
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Clinton’s Wall Street Donors Are Blocking Warren for Vice President
- Warren for VP? Clinton Beware as Massachusetts is Presidential Ticket Loser Land
- Sen. Warren & Others Urge U.S. Dept. of Education to Reform Federal Student Loan Servicing
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing