slides: Holy Cross Comes Back to Upset Navy 87-80 in Overtime
Sunday, January 31, 2016
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below
Holy Cross and Navy were deadlocked at three 73 in the overtime period when Malachi Alexander made a layup and a free throw to give Holy Cross a 76-73 lead with 2:33 to play.
Navy would get back within two, 78-76, with 1:08 to play before Alexander would knock down two free throws and extend the Crusaders lead to 80-76.
Holy Cross would rip off five straight points to take an 85-78 lead with 20 seconds to play in the overtime period and would go on to get the win.
Holy Cross and Navy split the season series.
2nd Half Rally
In the second half, Holy Cross would trail by as much as eight, 58-50, with 7:28 to play and would trail 67-62 with 1:33 to play in the game.
The Crusaders would close the half on a 7-2 run, tying it up at 69 on free throws from Anthony Thompson with 13 seconds left to play.
Malachi Alexander would lead Holy Cross with a career high 26 points on 6 of 15 shooting from the field and 12 of 13 from the free throw line while also grabbing eight rebounds.
Cullen Hamilton would follow up with 24 points on 9 of 13 shooting from the field.
Holy Cross returns to action on Monday, February 1 when they visit American. Tip off is set for 7:30 p.m.
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 87-80 Win Over Navy
Cullen Hamilton had by far his best game of the season, pouring in a season high 24 points on 9 of 13 shooting from the field and 4 of 6 from the free throw line.
Hamilton reaches double figures for the first time in 5 games and reaches the 20 point mark for the first time since January 6, a win over Colgate.
Hamilton made 9 field goals in the game, that is more than he has made in Holy Cross' last 4 games combined.
Points in the Paint
The Crusaders shot 49 % from the field in the game and got themselves to the free throw line 35 times.
That happened in part because Holy Cross was getting into the paint and were effective there, scoring 34 points.
Holy Cross shot 55% in the first half, 49% in the second half and 57% in the extra period.
Malachi Alexander led Holy Cross with a career high 26 points on 6 of 15 shooting from the field and 12 of 13 from the free throw line while also grabbing 8 rebounds.
This is the second time in four games that Alexander has led Holy Cross in scoring.
Alexander has averaged 11.4 points per game this season.
Fighting back = Success
After the last game, one of the takeaways was that the Crusaders got down early but battled back and made it a game. They did not just quit. They ended up losing that, 71-54, to Loyola because they went cold from the field in the final five minutes but the fight was there.
In this game, Holy Cross got down by as much as 12 in the first half and trailed 67-62 with 1:33 to go before rallying and forcing overtime.
Holy Cross would go on to win in OT.
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 69-60 Win Over Sacred Heart
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 62-56 Loss to Quinnipiac
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 50-49 Win Over Harvard
- Holy Cross Falls 88-84 to Albany in OT
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 92-59 Loss to #2 Kansas
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 73-69 Loss to New Hampshire
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 71-55 Loss to Brown
- Holy Cross Athletics Has 3rd Highest Graduation Rate in Country
- Holy Cross Goes for 3rd Straight Win, UMass Returns to Gillette
- Holy Cross Basketball 2015-16 Season Preview
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 67-64 Win Over Marist
- Holy Cross Rolls Hartford 90-68
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 87-66
- Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
- Holy Cross Edges Army 69-65
- Holy Cross Men’s Basketball Announces Schedule Changes Due to Weather
- Holy Cross Falls to Colgate 76-61
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- Holy Cross’ Come Back Falls Short, Lose 71-54 to Loyola