Two Arrested for Gun Possession in Worcester
Monday, June 11, 2018
Ton Tran, 21, was charged with Operating a Motor Vehicle while Unlicensed, and Unlawful Carrying of a Firearm.
Celin Petion, 23, was placed under arrest and charged with Unlawful Carrying of a Firearm, and Resisting Arrest.
Petion also had an existing outstanding arrest warrant in effect for motor vehicle infractions.
On Thursday, June 7, at approximately 2:07 a.m., A Worcester Police officer was parked in a stationary position in a marked police cruiser at the corner of Park Avenue and Maywood Street.
At this time, the officer saw a gray Toyota Camry drive by him. The officer noticed the registration plate and recognized it as the vehicle that is being driven by a man that he is familiar with named Ton Tran. The officer had knowledge that Tran had a limited license (hardship) that was valid from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The officer was able to pull next to the Camry and make a visual identification that the operator was in fact Tran. Once confirmation was made, Tran was signaled to stop in front of 536 Park Avenue.
The officer approached the driver’s door and asked the operator (Tran) to exit the vehicle. Backup officers arrived at the scene and approached the passenger door. The backup officer asked the passenger, later identified as Petion of 273 Lovell Street, to exit the vehicle. Petion began to exit but was leaning to the right in an attempt to conceal something. At this point the backup officer yelled out that the male had a gun. Once out of the vehicle Mr. Petion began to run at full sprint away from the motor vehicle stop.
Officers began to run after Petion while others remained with Mr. Tran. While chasing after Petion, officers observed that he was holding his right arm towards the front waistband area. The foot chase continued behind buildings and over fences but eventually came to an end when Petion decided to give up in the area of 487 Park Avenue.
A search of Petion produced no weapon. At this time the area was searched for the weapon. Officers believed that Petion discarded the weapon it in an area when officers had briefly lost sight of him during the chase.
Officers realized that one of the places that they lost sight of Petion was near the Blarney Stone. The Blarney Stone has a low roofline and seemed like a feasible place to look.
Officers called in the Worcester Fire Department and had a ladder truck respond.
Officers were hoisted to the roof. Officers immediately located the firearm. The weapon is a Raven 25 semi-automatic handgun.
The weapon was recovered from the roof by a member of the Crime Scene Unit and secured back at police headquarters and will be held for evidence.
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony