Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
Wednesday, June 21, 2017
Edwin Santiago, 31, of Lake Ave and Jennifer Rheum, 36, of Lake Ave were placed under arrest and charged with Walking on Railroad Tracks. After further investigation and interviews, they were subsequently charged with Removal of a Human Body, and Concealment of the Death of a Child.
The investigation is ongoing.
On June 19, at 8:43 a.m., police officers responded to the police station lobby for a report of someone wanting to report an unusual odor coming from a bag at 375 Lake Ave. Upon arrival, they spoke to the complainant. He said that he saw a bag with an unusual odor and was worried about what was inside. After a brief investigation, police determined that the bag had been moved, and was now at 384 Lake Ave.
Officers responded to 384 Lake Ave. Behind the property in the woods, they located a garbage bag emitting a strong odor. Inside the bag, officers located a newborn baby that had passed away. After the discovery, the Detective Bureau and Crime Scene Unit responded, secured the scene, and interviewed witnesses.
While officers were on scene, they saw a man and a woman walking on the railroad tracks behind the address. The railroad tracks are private property and there is a prominently posted “No Trespassing” sign. The man, identified as Santiago and Rheaume, were placed under arrest.
DCF was notified of the investigation. The cause and time of the baby’s death are currently unknown, pending autopsy results. It is also unknown whether the baby was alive at the time of delivery.
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit