Worcester Police Conduct Undercover Underage Drinking Sting
Thursday, February 07, 2019
Investigators working with two underage college students, conducted an underage sting operation visiting thirty businesses-both package stores and restaurants.
The undercover minors were able to purchase alcohol at two of the thirty businesses. Investigators saw more compliance from businesses during this sting compared to past operations. These types of stings are periodically conducted throughout the year.
"Tragic health, social, and economic problems result from the use of alcohol by youth. Underage drinking is a causal factor in a host of serious problems, including homicide, suicide, traumatic injury, drowning, burns, violent and property crime, high-risk sex, fetal alcohol syndrome, alcohol poisoning, and need for treatment for alcohol abuse and dependence," states a report by Needham.
The purpose of an underage sting operation is to bring awareness to business owners about the consequences of selling alcohol to underage customers and patrons.
The minors working with investigators on this sting were ages 18 and 19 years old attending local colleges.
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Burncoat Street Stabbing
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Shell Station at Knifepoint
- Worcester Police Endorse Diehl for U.S. Senate
- NEW: Rosie O’Donnell Reportedly Engaged to Worcester Police Girlfriend
- Worcester Police Investigate Suspicious Device on Dorchester Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Between Bicyclist & Car
- Worcester Police Investigating Drive-By Shooting on Providence Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony
- Worcester Police Officer Bitten by Suspect During Attempted Arrest
- Worcester Police Offer Halloween Safety Tips
- Worcester Police Investigating Everard Street Home Invasion
- Worcester Police Captain McKiernan Graduates FBI National Academy
- Worcester Police to Enhance Effort to Prevent Underage Drinking
- Worcester Police Investigating Unattended Death of Woman at Salvation Army
- Worcester Police Dept. to Swear In 7 New Officers