Man Arrested After Assaulting Police Officers in Worcester
Saturday, September 02, 2017
Christofer Mercedes, 26, of Webster, was charged with 2 counts of assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest, wanton destruction of personal property, and carrying a dangerous weapon while disorderly.
On August 31 at about 11 p.m., Worcester Police officers working the Summer Impact Program were dispatched to a reported commercial break in progress. A description of the suspect was broadcast over the air, and the suspect was said to be riding a bicycle on Milton St.
Officers saw a man on a bicycle, who matched the description, near the business. He was nervous and appeared to be sweating profusely. Officers approached the man, later identified as Mercedes, and began to speak with him. The officers told Mercedes about the call, and asked him where he was coming from.
Mercedes became extremely agitated, screaming “I did nothing, you can’t stop me!” He kept placing his hands in his pants pockets. The officers asked Mercedes several times to take his hands out of his pockets, and he refused. Fearing a possible weapon, officers decided to perform a pat frisk of Mercedes. As they were attempting to frisk him for weapons, Mercedes began swinging his arms and striking the officers in the chest. Mercedes was advised that he was under arrest, and he continued to struggle and resist the officers’ attempts to place him in handcuffs.
The officers were able to bring Mercedes to the ground, where he continued kicking them. Other officers arrived, and he eventually was placed in handcuffs. A search of his person revealed a black folding knife.
One of the officers tore his pants during the struggle.
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Worcester Police to Launch Mounted Patrol Unit
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza
- Two Arrested After Worcester Police Find Remains of Newborn Baby on Lake Ave
- Worcester Police Arrest Man That Robbed Honey Farms With Syringe
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award