Reckless Driver Causes Serious Car Accident on Lake Ave Then Fights Police
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Robert Phelps, 37, of Millbury was arrested and charged with Assault and Battery on a Police Officer, Resisting Arrest, Disorderly Conduct, Disturbing the Peace, Attempt to Disarm a Police Officer, Leaving the Scene of an Accident with Personal Injury, Operating to Endanger, Use of a Motor Vehicle without Authority, and Operating with a Revoked License (Second and Subsequent).
On Saturday, June 10 at about 10:15 p.m. police responded to a serious motor vehicle accident at 292 Lake Ave. Upon arrival, police saw a 2005 Toyota Corolla in the middle of Lake Ave. Its entire front-end was destroyed, the car was leaking fluids, and smoke was coming from the engine. An off-duty Worcester firefighter had stopped and rendered aid to the driver of the sedan, who was 72 years-old. She sustained back and head injuries and was transported to the hospital by ambulance. Her injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.
Several witnesses who were present also directed police attention to the other car, a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo. The witnesses said that the driver of the Monte Carlo had been going about 90 miles per hour at the intersection of Hamilton St and Lake Ave, and had not stopped at the stop sign, causing him to strike the Corolla on the passenger front side. The witnesses said that the operator of the Monte Carlo started running toward Lake Park after the collision.
Police organized a search for the man and called for a K-9 to assist. Shortly afterwards, police received a call for a suspicious man down the road. The nearest officer spotted the man, later identified as Robert Phelps, 37 years-old of Millbury, and he took off running again. One officer caught up with Phelps, who refused the officer’s command to stop. Phelps advanced toward the officer, and began making threats and refusing to comply. The officer deployed his baton and a struggle ensued. Phelps punched the officer in the face. The officer struck Phelps in the leg with his baton, and used his OC spray, but Phelps still did not comply and kept fighting. During the struggle, he tried to take the officer’s baton. More police showed up and they were able to subdue Phelps.
A crowd had gathered and witnessed the commotion, and numerous residents of the Lake Ave area were disturbed. Police spoke with the owner of the Monte Carlo, who confirmed that Phelps did not have permission to use the car. A license check revealed the Mr. Phelps’ driver’s license was revoked.
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 15 Officers During Ceremony on Sunday
- Worcester Police to Swear in 8 New Officers on Friday
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Suspect in Metro PCS Armed Robbery
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Grafton Street Walgreens
- Worcester Police to Promote two Officers During Ceremony on Friday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Attempted to Break Into Muslim School - Alhuda Academy
- Worcester Police Promote 7 New Sergeants
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS
- Worcester Police Seek Help in Identifying Two Credit Card Skimmer Suspects
- Worcester Man Arrested for Drunk Driving After Hitting Worcester Police Car
- Worcester Police Arrest Two for Trafficking Drugs Near Lincoln Plaza