video: Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
KYRIE IRVING DAPPING UP OLD CAVS TEAMMATES + TITANIC MUSIC— Damon Kecman (@DownWithDamon) October 18, 2017
I’M NOT CRYING, YOU’RE CRYING .. �� pic.twitter.com/QKG6RcBL5z
The Celtics start the season 0-1, While Cleveland begins the season 1-0.
Celtics Rally Falls Short
The Celtics trailed by as much as 18 points, 61-43, with 9:50 to play in the third quarter before going on a 28-8 run to take a 71-69 lead on a layup by Marcus Smart with seven seconds to play in the quarter.
Cleveland’s Derrick Rose would knock down a three with two seconds left in the quarter to give the Cavs a 72-71 lead going into the fourth.
The teams traded leads throughout the fourth quarter before Cleveland took the lead for good.
The Celtics led 98-97 with 1:40 to play in the game when LeBron James converted a layup to put Cleveland up 99-98 with 1:20 to go.
Cleveland would extend their lead following a turnover by Celtics rookie Jayson Tatum. On the Cavs ensuing possession, Kevin Love would knock down a corner three to extend Cleveland’s lead to 102-98 with 59 seconds to play.
Boston’s Kyrie Irving made a free throw to cut the Celtics deficit to three, 102-99, however, a three by Irving in the final seconds would fall short as Cleveland would hang on for the win.
Leading the Way
Jaylen Brown led the Celtics with 25 points on 11 of 23 shooting from the field while Irving added 22 points.
Tatum poured in 14 points on 5 of 12 shooting in his first NBA game.
The Celtics return to action on Wednesday, October 18 when they host the Milwaukee Bucks.
Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
That's one hell of an effort by the Celtics after Hayward injury. Kyrie and the young guys -- Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) October 18, 2017
Gordon Hayward leaving the arena on a stretcher in an ambulance with family members. Gave fans a thumbs up as he left. #Celtics— Abby Chin (@tvabby) October 18, 2017
Jayson Tatum became the 3rd Celtics player with a double-double in his 1st career game, joining Larry Bird & Dave Cowens (via @EliasSports).— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 18, 2017
- Bradley’s 29 Points Leads Celtics to Blow Out Win in Game 5 Over Wizards
- Celtics Give up 26 Straight Points En Route to 121-102 Game 4 Loss to Wizards
- Wall’s Three in Final Seconds Sinks Celtics 92-91 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Monday
- Olynyk’s 26 Points Helps Celtics to 115-105 Game 7 Win Over Washington
- Celtics Set to Open Eastern Conference Finals Against Cleveland Wednesday Night
- Celtics Blown Out by Wizards 116-89 in Game 3
- Brawl in Celtics Game
- Celtics Eliminate Bulls in Game 6 105-83, Advance to 2nd Round
- Celtics Open 2nd Round Series Against Washington on Sunday
- Celtics Knock Down 19 Threes En Route to 123-111 Game 1 Win Over Wizards
- Thomas’ 53 Points Leads Celtics to 129-119 Overtime Win Over Wizards in Game 2
- Slow Start Leads Celtics to 117-104 Loss to Cleveland in Game 1
- Thomas Injured, Cavaliers Hand Celtics Worst Home Playoff Loss in Team History
- Celtics Trade Bradley to Pistons for Marcus Morris
- ESPN Reports Hayward Signing with Celtics
- Celtics Acquire Kyrie Irving in Trade With Cleveland Involving Isaiah Thomas
- Cleveland May Try to Void Trade With Celtics Following Thomas’ Physical
- Celtics Send 2020 2nd Round Pick to Cleveland to Seal Irving Trade
- Celtics Select Duke’s Tatum With #3 Overall Pick in NBA Draft
- Celtics Trade #1 Pick to Philadelphia for #3 Pick in NBA Draft
- Celtics’ Thomas Out for Remainder of Playoffs
- Bradley’s Three Lifts Celtics Over Cleveland 111-108 in Game 3
- Celtics Can’t Hold 16 Point Lead, Fall 112-99 To Cleveland in Game 4
- Celtics Eliminated From Playoffs Following Game 5 Loss to Cleveland
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener