Man Arrested For Oui After Crashing Into Scaffolding On Grove Street
Friday, November 09, 2018
Jose Velez, 23, was charged with failure to stay within marked lanes and operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol.
On November 8, 2018, at approximately 12:16 a.m., Worcester Police responded to a single car crash located at 102 Grove Street. Upon the officers arrival they saw a 2003 Nissan Xterra under a tangled pile of scaffolding. The scaffolding was positioned in front of the old Northworks building. The building is currently undergoing extensive renovations.
In addition, the officers saw a utility light pole that was knocked down and a parking meter that was bent. The officer also noticed that a large piece of equipment, a JLG hydraulic lift, received extensive damage to the control panel, mechanical components and to a tire that was ripped off as a result of the impact.
The officer saw that the driver was out of his car and sitting on the ground talking to members of the Worcester Fire Department. The driver was identified as Jose Velez, 23, of 45 Mohave Road.
The officer spoke with two witnesses that had just exited The Fix Restaurant. The officer was told that as they were walking under the scaffolding the two noticed the Nissan drive through construction cones that had been set up throughout the construction site and around the JLG lift. The two had to jump out of the way for fear that they’d be hit by the oncoming car. Once the car came to a stop the two witnesses ran towards the Nissan and helped the driver out of the car.
While speaking to Velez, the officer observed a strong odor of alcohol emitting from his breath. Based on the physical evidence, the presence of the odor of alcohol and the results of some field tests, Velez was placed under arrest for Failure to Stay within Marked Lanes and Operating a MV Under the Influence of Alcohol.
Velez was transported to a local hospital for treatment and then released back to police custody.
The building was not struck in this incident and therefore deemed safe to enter.
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Paulino’s Market Armed With Gun
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Country Bank
- Worcester Police in Search of 2nd Suspect Following Armed Robbery on Belmont St.
- Worcester Police in Search of Suspect Involved in Carjacking in Upland Gardens
- Woman Arrested for OUI After Crashing Into Parked Worcester Police Cruiser
- Wal-Mart Shoplifter Steals Worcester Police Officer’s Pepper Spray, Tries to Spray Him
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Sally Beauty Supply
- Worcester Police Department Recognized With Above & Beyond Award
- Worcester Police Department to Promote 5 During Ceremony
- Worcester Police Offer Tips for Halloween Safety
- Worcester Police Investigating Shooting on Suffield Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Involving Dirt Bike & Car
- NEW: Rosie O’Donnell Reportedly Engaged to Worcester Police Girlfriend
- Worcester Police Endorse Diehl for U.S. Senate
- Worcester Police Investigate Suspicious Device on Dorchester Street
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Who Robbed Shell Station at Knifepoint
- Worcester Police to Honor Memory of 9 Officers During Annual Memorial Ceremony
- Worcester Police Officer Bitten by Suspect During Attempted Arrest
- Worcester Police Investigating Drive-By Shooting on Providence Street
- Worcester Police Investigating Crash Between Bicyclist & Car