Holy Cross Falls 78-63 to Loyola
Thursday, February 25, 2016
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below
Holy Cross' Robert Champion converted a layup with 8:43 to play in the first half tying the score at 17 apiece.
From that point, Loyola went on a 8-0 run to go up 25-17 with 3:23 left to play in the half and would extend to a 33-23 half time lead after James Fives hit a three with the clock winding down.
In the second, Loyola opened things up by starting the half on a 15-5 run to take a 48-28 lead with 14:42 left in the game.
The Crusaders would get as close as ten, 66-56, with 4:58 to play but the Greyhounds would proceed to score the next 6 points to take a 72-56 lead with 3:22 to and seal the win.
Leading the Way
Holy Cross was led by Karl Charles who needed 15 points on 3 of 9 shooting from the field and 9 of 9 from the free throw line. Charles also grabbed 5 rebounds and dished out 3 assists.
Cullen Hamilton followed up with 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting.
Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, February 27 when they visit Boston University in the final game of the regular season. Tip off is set for noon time.
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 78-63 Loss to Loyola
1 Game Left
The first regular season under new head coach Bill Carmody has one game remaining in it and that will be on Saturday against (17-13, 10-7 PL) Boston University.
Holy Cross has a chance to end what has been a rough stretch of conference games and go into the Patriot League tournament feeling good.
The Crusaders blew out BU 80-64 in the first conference game of the season.
1st Half Struggles
Teh Crusaders fell behind in the first half and trailed 33-23 at half time.
Loyola was able to build up their lead as Holy Cross shot 32% from the field, including 9% from three, in the half.
Holy Cross was much better in the second half as they shot 52% from the field, including 50% from three, however it was too late.
For the second straight game, Karl Charles led Holy Cross in scoring. Charles poured in 15 points on 3 of 9 shooting from the field and 9 of 9 from the free throw line.
Charles has now reached double figures in 2 straight games and 4 of the last 6.
Against Loyola, Charles also grabbed 5 rebounds and had 3 assists.
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 50-49 Win Over Harvard
- Holy Cross Falls 88-84 to Albany in OT
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 92-59 Loss to #2 Kansas
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross Rolls Hartford 90-68
- Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 87-66
- Holy Cross Falls to Bucknell 77-52
- Former Holy Cross Defensive Coordinator Rodgers Coaching in Super Bowl
- Holy Cross Rolls Lafayette 67-53
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 64-59
- Holy Cross Comes up Short at Army, Fall 72-68
- Holy Cross Falls to American 58-45
- Holy Cross Comes Back to Upset Navy 87-80 in Overtime
- Holy Cross Edges Army 69-65
- Holy Cross Men’s Basketball Announces Schedule Changes Due to Weather
- Holy Cross Falls to Colgate 76-61
- Holy Cross’ Come Back Falls Short, Lose 71-54 to Loyola
- Holy Cross Falls 71-70 to American in OT Heartbreaker