Former Holy Cross Defensive Coordinator Rodgers Coaching in Super Bowl
Thursday, February 04, 2016
Rodgers joined Carolina in 2012 as the assistant special teams coach before being promoted to special teams coordinator halfway through the season. Rodgers held that job through 2014 before moving over to the secondary this season.
Rodgers at Holy Cross
Rodgers spent seven years on the Holy Cross coaching staff from 2005-2011, serving as the defensive coordinator for his final six season.
During the 2011 season, Rodgers' defense allowed only 20 points per game, the fewest that any Holy Cross team had allowed since 1992.
During the 2009 season, Rodgers helped Holy Cross to the Patriot League championship with a defense that ranked second in the conference in both points allowed (21.8 per game) and passing yards allowed (211.7 per game).
Holy Cross had 20 selections to the All-Patriot League teams in Rodgers final four seasons.
Prior to Holy Cross
Before Rodgers came to Holy Cross, he coached collegiately at New Mexico State, Portland State, San Jose State and Diablo Valley Community College.
Rodgers also served as a coaching intern with the Oakland Raiders in 1996.
Rodgers Playing Career
Rodgers is a 1992 graduate of the University of California, where he was a two-time second team All-Pacific-10 Conference selection from 1980 to 1984.
Rodgers was a special teams captain for the Golden Bears for three seasons and called "The Play" in the huddle to beat Stanford in 1982. In the play, Rodgers was he second and fourth player to handle he ball on the five lateral last play touchdown return.
Carolina Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera was a teammate of Rodgers at Cal from 1980-83.
Related Slideshow: Fun Places in Central Massachusetts to Watch Football
Lakeside Bar and Grill
97 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA
Come watch the game at an upscale version of your average sports bar. Lakeside offers all the best game day foods from potato skins to wings but you can feel comfortable about bringing your family or girlfriend with you to watch some professional football.
Photo: Lakeside Bar and Grill
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 92-59 Loss to #2 Kansas
- Holy Cross Rolls Hartford 90-68
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 69-60 Win Over Sacred Heart
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 62-56 Loss to Quinnipiac
- Holy Cross Basketball 2015-16 Season Preview
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 67-64 Win Over Marist
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 71-55 Loss to Brown
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 73-69 Loss to New Hampshire
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- Holy Cross Edges Army 69-65
- Holy Cross Falls to Colgate 76-61
- Holy Cross’ Come Back Falls Short, Lose 71-54 to Loyola
- Holy Cross Comes Back to Upset Navy 87-80 in Overtime
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 87-66
- Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- Holy Cross Falls 88-84 to Albany in OT
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 50-49 Win Over Harvard
- Holy Cross Men’s Basketball Announces Schedule Changes Due to Weather
- Holy Cross Falls to American 58-45
- Lehigh vs Holy Cross Football Preview
- Holy Cross at Lafayette Football Preview
- Fun Places in Central Massachusetts to Watch Football
- Bucknell vs Holy Cross Football Preview
- Holy Cross vs Georgetown Football Preview
- Paul Giorgio: Ebola Should Not Be A Political Football
- Holy Cross vs Dartmouth Football Preview
- Central MA Football Season Ends With 2-2 Showing at Gillette
- Rob Horowitz: Food Stamps Are the Wrong Political Football
- GoLocal Worcester Football All Star Team
- Football Champs Doherty Highlanders to Celebrate with Pep Rally
- Three Holy Cross Football Players Make All-Patriot League Team
- NEW: Holy Cross Football Signs Tom Gilmore to Three-Year Extension
- A Married Man’s Guide to Fantasy Football
- 5 Ways to Play Fantasy Football When You Don’t Care About Fantasy Football
- Holy Cross Football Looks to Build on Last Season
- Holy Cross Football Set to Host New England Rival Brown
- Holy Cross Football Looks For Bounce Back Win Against #10 Fordham
- Holy Cross Football Goes WWE Wrestling at Practice
- Holy Cross Football Picked to Finish 6th in Patriot League
- 31 Things to Do Every Sunday Until Football Season Starts Again
- Holy Cross Sets 2015-17 Football Schedule, Announces Syracuse Game
- Ex-Patriot Welker Thinks Deflated Footballs Have No Real Benefits
- The Benefits of a Deflated Football
- Inside the Matchups: College Football Playoffs