Smart Benefits: Form 5500 Due July 31
Monday, June 18, 2018
The Form’s Purpose
Form 5500 is an annual report of employee benefit plans to satisfy reporting requirements under ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code. It is intended to ensure that employee benefit plans are operated and managed in accordance with certain standards, and to protect the rights and benefits of participants and beneficiaries.
All forms and any required schedules and attachment must be completed and filed electronically using EFAST2-approved third-party software or with IFILE.
To request an extension, a plan sponsor may submit Form 5558 prior to the normal due date for Form 5500. This form must be mailed to the IRS rather than submitted electronically.
Rob Calise is the Managing Director, Employee Benefits of The Hilb Group of New England, where he helps clients control the costs of employee benefits by focusing on consumer-driven strategies and on how to best utilize the tax savings tools the government provides. Rob serves as Chairman of the Board of United Benefit Advisors, and is a board member of the Blue Cross & Blue Shield of RI Broker Advisory Board, United HealthCare of New England Broker Advisory Board and Rhode Island Business Healthcare Advisors Council. He is also a member of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), American Health Insurance Association (AHIA) and the Employers Council on Flexible Compensation (ECFC), as well as various human resource associations. Rob is a graduate of Bryant University with a BS in Finance
- Smart Benefits: Should You Boost Benefits in Light of Tax Reform?
- Smart Benefits: Harness Happiness for Increased Productivity
- Smart Benefits: What Drives Health Plan Satisfaction?
- Smart Benefits: The Rise of AI
- Smart Benefits: What to Do if You Get a Shared Responsibility Letter
- Smart Benefits: Increased Enforcement Means It’s Time to Get I-9s in Order
- Smart Benefits: Resolve to Help Employees Stick with Resolutions in 2018
- Smart Benefits: Five HR Challenges for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Advance Form 5500 Available for 2017
- Smart Benefits: Tips for a Healthy Workplace During Cold & Flu Season
- Smart Benefits: Should You Go Voluntary?
- Smart Benefits: How to Ready Your Org for the Gig Economy
- Smart Benefits: What Benefits Do Workers Want? More Financial Education
- Smart Benefits: How to Boost Productivity When Spring Fever Hits
- Smart Benefits: HSA Limits for 2019 Released
- Smart Benefits: Reminder - PCORI Fee Due July 31
- Smart Benefits: IRS Updates Employer Guidance for Fringe Benefits
- Smart Benefits: MA Pay History Ban Will Change Local Recruitment
- Smart Benefits: CMS Releases HHS Notice of Benefit & Payment Parameters for 2019
- Smart Benefits: Penalty Hikes for Workplace Law Violations Announced
- Smart Benefits: Five Steps to Managing Leave
- Smart Benefits: New Disability Claims Procedure In Effect Today
- Smart Benefits: Engage Employees in Benefits
- Smart Benefits: What Makes a Company a Great Place to Work?
- Smart Benefits: When It Comes to Unpaid Summer Interns, Beware FLSA Rules