Worcester Man Charged With Murder of Worcester Public School Aide
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Jose Melendez, 54, of 297 Pleasant Street was charged with murder and ordered held without bail, according to Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr.
“The Worcester Police detectives together with my ADAs and the State Police Crime Lab did some great work to get us to this arraignment today,” Early said.
Hehir, 49, was found dead in her apartment on the morning of February 5. An autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined that she had been strangled and her death was a homicide.
Melendez was arrested last week on a warrant out of Lynn District Court. He had defaulted on probation that he was serving on a 2014 breaking and entering conviction. He was arraigned in Worcester Central District Court last week on that charge, two Worcester drug cases and a charge of giving police a false name.
Melendez, who also uses the names Alvarado and Segura, had his bail revoked in the Lynn case and a total of $10,000 bail was set on the other cases. He was held over the weekend in the Worcester County Jail.
DNA recovered from the murder scene connected Melendez to the crime.
He was arraigned today in Worcester Central District Court before Judge Margaret Guzman. After Judge Guzman granted defense attorney Michael Hussey’s motion to allow Melendez to stay out of view of the public, he remained behind a large door throughout the arraignment.
All of his cases, including the murder, were continued to April 13 in Worcester Central District Court.
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in Face During Fight
- Worcester Police Officer Stabbed in the Face in the Line-of-Duty
- Worcester Police to Take Part in National Night Out on Tuesday
- Worcester Police Officer Attacked, Man Tries to “Gouge Out His Eye”
- 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says Worcester Police
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times, Worcester Police in Search of Suspects
- Man Refuses to Cooperate With Worcester Police After Being Stabbed
- Worcester Police Searching for Suspects After Shots Were Fired on Freemont St
- Male Victim Suffering from Stab Wound Refuses to Cooperate with Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Arrest 8 During Undercover Prostitution Sting
- Worcester Police Investigating Euclid Ave Fight That Led to Stabbing of 2 Men
- Victim in Hamilton Street Shooting Identified by Worcester Police
- Worcester Police to Promote 6 Officers in Ceremony at City Hall
- Worcester Police to Step Up Efforts to Prohibit Alcohol Sales to Minors
- Worcester Police Make Arrest Connected to Constitution Ave Stabbing
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit
- 5 Worcester Police Officers to be Promoted in Ceremony on Friday
- Seven Officers to Graduate From Worcester Police Mounted Patrol Unit Tuesday
- Worcester Police Offer Alcohol Training to Local Bars, Restaurants
- Worcester Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Crime Spree — Three Armed Robberies Linked Say Worcester Police
- Worcester Police Make Cocaine Drug Bust
- 17-Year-Old Steals Truck and Drags Owner on Wild Chase with Worcester Police
- Cambridge St Honey Farms Robbed - Worcester Police in Search of Suspect
- Worcester Police in Search of Man Involved in Robbery of CVS